The athletes react


Bart Aernouts had mixed feelings about his result: "I was aiming for top-15, so I'm definitely happy with my eleventh place. But when you get so close to the top-10, you’d rather be one of those first ten men. I also didn’t swim well and I stalled at the end of the bike leg. I can tell I don’t have enough long distance training miles under my belt yet. So there is certainly room for improvement. But I do think Hawaii suits me. I don’t mind the heat and I do well on tough courses. So I am looking forward to coming back with more long distance experience."

Axel Zeebroek was a happy man: "I'm really pleased with my result and my performance. I did a consistent race and I was able to stay concentrated when things got tough. For example, I struggled in the last 50 kilometers on the bike. I lost time, but I was able to stay focused on my technique and frequency. I think that, because of my injuries this summer and my late qualification, I entered the race mentally and physically fit. In the end, I feel this was the right place for me today. And fifteen is good, especially when I see the big names that came in behind me."

Bruno Clerbout managed only one word: "Super, super, super! This really is not my course. I struggled mightily on the bike. That is why I am so happy with this result. The road to get here was long and difficult, but this race showed that I'm back. My setbacks in recent years have taught me to keep fighting until the last second. That paid off here. Even in the very last kilometers I picked up a number of athletes. Top-20 was my goal. Top-15 was a dream. The fact that Axel took the fifteenth spot ensures that are no lingering “not quite” feelings. I have achieved my goal."

Tine Deckers, last year twelfth in Kona, was not happy with her performance: "It all went to pieces today: I swam poorly, my stomach was upset, the penalty, my SRM device didn’t work ... Of course, when you have an off-day, everything seems to go wrong. I am pleased with the fighting spirit that I've shown today. Immediately getting sidelined for four minutes in your strongest discipline after a bad swim is mentally tough. You already know that making the top-10 is almost impossible. So I feel good about the way I fought during the run. It was the best I could do today."

Sofie Goos was disappointed: "I biked so poorly. After back pain forced me to retire from the race in the two previous years, I got too cautious. One thing made me push through: I was not going to stop for a third time. My back was fine, but of course I didn’t dig deep either. I was holding out hope that a slow bike leg would bring a fast marathon, but it did not. My run was okay though and I swam well. But this is triathlon. You can’t not show up in one discipline it and expect to be in the race. Two out of three is not enough."